THIS Clinic TAKES PLACE AT THE DOWNTOWN LOCATION: 11904 - 104 AVENUE
As you are aware, the situation around COVID-19 continues to evolve, and further restrictions on events and gatherings have been instituted by provincial governments across the country. The health and safety of our participants, staff and partners is our top priority. At this time, several health agencies are recommending the cancellation of large gatherings and the practice of social distancing. We are taking precautionary steps to lessen the public health risk associated with COVID-19 in Canada and are cancelling MEC clinics and events until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but hope you understand why we came to this decision.
Registered participants who have paid for registration will have entry fees refunded.
Everything you wanted to know about looking after your bike, but were afraid to ask. This bike repair and maintenance class is awesome for anyone who’s relatively new to the topic, and it combines popular topics in a single super session.
This session is a great foundation for our more advanced bike maintenance clinics.
Skill level: beginner
Format: knowledge-based, small group class
Bike anatomy and the parts of a bike:
· The different parts of a bike
· Covers: headset, brakes (disc and mechanical), pedals, bottom bracket, rear derailleur and rear hub
· Checklist for pre-ride, post-ride and long-term things to clean and maintain
6 essential bike maintenance skills:
· How to clean your hubs
· How to clean brakes (rim and disc) and check pad wear
· How to clean and tighten pedals and crankset
· Checking your bottom bracket for problems
· How to lube your bike chain
· How to wash your bike
· When to take your bike to a bike repair shop
How to fix a flat tire:
· What causes flat tires (there are a few things)
· How to remove a bike wheel, front and rear
· What kind of bike tube to choose
· How to change a bike tube or patch a bike tube
· … and how to put a bike back together again
Please leave your own bike at home, where you can practice your new skills on it later. We’ll use demo bikes and gear in class to show you how it’s done.
WHO’S TEACHING THE CLINIC?
Our clinics are taught by friendly MEC staffers who are ready to answer any questions and share all the stuff they love about being outside. Everyone’s welcome!