The purpose of this clinic is to introduce members to topographical maps, compasses and their use in backcountry navigation.
By the end of the session, participants will:
- Be familiar with topographic maps, the features that distinguish them from other types of maps and the reasons they are ideal for backcountry navigation.
- Understand the following concepts/symbols on a topographic map:
- Contour lines
- Basic color/terrain indicators
- Latitude/Longitude grid
- UTM grid
- Understand the features basic to all compasses, as well as additional features that may be desirable in a compass intended for backcountry navigation.
The following concepts will be discussed in detail:
- Interpreting real-life terrain features from a topo map
- Setting declination on a compass and its importance
- Shooting a bearing from terrain
- Setting a bearing from a topo map
- Following a bearing
- Straight line navigation vs. hand railing vs. aiming off
- Be familiar with other navigation resources available at MEC, as well as any additional navigation programming offered
The clinic is free but you do have to register.
If you have any questions, please call the store at 604-990-4417