Beginner bike maintenance 101: mega clinic - Oct13
Everything you wanted to know about looking after your bike, but were afraid to ask. This bike repair and maintenance class is awesome for anyone who’s relatively new to the topic, and it combines popular topics in a single super session.
This session is a great foundation for our more advanced bike maintenance clinics.
Skill level: beginner
Format: knowledge-based, small group class
Bike anatomy and the parts of a bike:
• The different parts of a bike
• Covers: headset, brakes (disc and mechanical), pedals, bottom bracket, rear derailleur and rear hub
• Checklist for pre-ride, post-ride and long-term things to clean and maintain
6 essential bike maintenance skills:
• How to clean your hubs
• How to clean brakes (rim and disc) and check pad wear
• How to clean and tighten pedals and crankset
• Checking your bottom bracket for problems
• How to lube your bike chain
• How to wash your bike
• When to take your bike to a bike repair shop
How to fix a flat tire:
• What causes flat tires (there are a few things)
• How to remove a bike wheel, front and rear
• What kind of bike tube to choose
• How to change a bike tube or patch a bike tube
• … and how to put a bike back together again Important notes
Please leave your own bike at home, where you can practice your new skills on it later. We’ll use demo bikes and gear in class to show you how it’s done.
We will be working in our bike shop, so we ask that all participants wear closed toed shoes for the duration of this clinic. Thanks in advance for your cooperation
Who’s teaching the clinic?
Our clinics are taught by friendly MEC staffers who are ready to answer any questions and share all the stuff they love about being outside. Everyone’s welcome!
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our MEC London Learning Coordinator email@example.com