Learn how to adjust brakes and derailleurs
Squeaky or weak brakes? Problems with shifting? Chain rubbing? Join this intermediate bike maintenance clinic to learn how to keep your brakes and derailleur in tip-top shape. Take your bike repair skills up a notch!
Skill level: intermediate
Format: hands-on, small group class
- Adjusting and fixing brakes:
- Different types of bike brakes
- How and when to change brake pads
- How to adjust the position of brakes
- How to change the cable and housing for rim brakes
- Brief overview on issues with disc brakes and discuss when a bleed is necessary; however, we will not be demonstrating the bleed process due to the differences among bikes and brake systems.
- Adjusting derailleurs:
- How to inspect your derailleurs
- How to tell when your derailleurs need an adjustment
- How to adjust your front and rear derailleur
- When you need to take your bike to the shop for service
- And when you need to take your bike to the shop for service
We highly recommend taking the beginner bike repair and maintenance clinics at MEC before this class.
This is a hands-on clinic, so wear clothes that you don’t mind getting a bit of bike grease on.
Please leave your own bike at home, where you can practice your new skills on it later. We’ll provide demo materials and gear in class.
Heads up: internal hub systems and internally geared bikes aren’t covered in this workshop.
Who’s teaching the clinic?
Our more advanced bike clinics are taught by experienced MEC bike mechanics, who are ready to answer any of your questions.