How to use a GPS: digital navigation explained
Do you have a handheld GPS and want to know how to use it? Or maybe you’re thinking of buying one? This beginner-friendly clinic is a great starting point for anyone who wants to improve their navigation skills in the backcountry and learn about GPS devices.
Skill level: beginner
Format: knowledge-based, small group class
· How GPS units work
· What features and functions all handheld GPS devices have
· How to use these features and functions for wilderness navigation
· Using your phone vs. using a GPS device
· What types of GPS devices are available, and what activities they’re useful for
· How to care for your GPS
· Helpful advice on navigation resources at MEC
We’ll have demo GPS devices to show the different types of features. If you have your own GPS, feel free to bring it along to the clinic.
Who’s teaching the clinic?
Our clinics are taught by friendly MEC staffers who are ready to answer any questions and share all the stuff they love about being outside. Everyone’s welcome!