Backcountry 101: Intro to Map & Compass
Everyone should carry a map and compass in the backcountry… but do you actually know how to use them? Learn the basics about map and compass navigation so you stay found in the wilderness – it’s an essential outdoor skill.
Skill level: Beginner
Format: Hands-on, small group class
· How to read features and symbols on a topographic map
· Basic compass features and extras
· How to set declination on a compass
· How to shoot a bearing from terrain
· How to set a bearing from a topo map
· How to follow a bearing
· Straight-line navigation vs. hand railing vs. aiming off
· Helpful advice on navigation resources at MEC
We’ll have demo compasses and maps to work with – if you have your own compass, feel free to bring it along to the clinic.
There’s a ton of useful info in this class. When you’re done, you’ll have basic skills to practice with at home.
Who’s teaching the clinic?
Our clinics are taught by friendly MEC staffers who are ready to answer any questions and share all the stuff they love about being outside. Everyone’s welcome!