Intro to Map and Compass - Jul13
The purpose of this clinic is to introduce members to topographical maps, compasses and their use in backcountry navigation.
By the end of the session, participants will:
- Be familiar with topographic maps, the features that distinguish them from other types of maps and the reasons they are ideal for backcountry navigation.
- Understand the following concepts/symbols on a topographic map:
- Contour lines
- Basic color/terrain indicators
- Latitude/Longitude grid
- UTM grid
- Understand the features basic to all compasses, as well as additional features that may be desirable in a compass intended for backcountry navigation.
The following concepts will be discussed in detail:
- Interpreting real-life terrain features from a topo map
- Setting declination on a compass and its importance
- Shooting a bearing from terrain
- Setting a bearing from a topo map
- Following a bearing
- Straight line navigation vs. hand railing vs. aiming off
- Be familiar with other navigation resources available at MEC, as well as any additional navigation programming offered
The clinic is free but you do have to register.