Backcountry 101 is our weekly clinic series intended to help everyone from the novice camper to the seasoned hiker plan, prepare and pack for their adventures.
INTRO TO MULTI-DAY HIKING & BACKPACKING:
This clinic will introduce participants to the essential equipment required for a multi-day hiking trip or backpacking adventure, including:
- The 'Top 10' Essentials.
- Appropriate Footwear
- Clothing and layering systems
- Cooking systems
- Sleeping systems
- Understanding the importance of a properly fitted pack, and how to choose the right size for your trip.
- Learning how to pack a backpack to ensure comfort and safety.
- Recommendations for some popular trips in the region.
- General safety tips such as first aid kits, checking the weather and leaving contact/trip info with someone back home.
Where do I start? Some things to think about when planning that overnight trip.
Here are those Top 10 (plus 1) essentials to consider.
Trying to get that pack lighter? Check out these ideas on how to do just that.
Camping checklists to help you get organized.
Looking for some inspiration? Check out the MEC Blog’s post on planning for an expedition.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com