Backcountry 101 is intended to help novice outdoor enthusiasts plan, prepare and pack for their day hiking or overnight / multiday adventures. It is an introduction to equipment and knowledge needed to safely complete your next trip.
- We hightly recommend the "DAYHIKING" topic as the ideal prerequisite to the three other topics as it covers the foundation of heading into the backcountry.
- Please meet your MEC Clinic Leader at our Member Service Desk.
- If you have booked a space and you can no longer attend the clinic, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can offer your space to another member - our clinics book up quickly and we want to ensure all spaces are being used. There is not a waitlist option for this clinic - if a member cancels their registration, we will open up additional spots on this page.
- Each week of the month will focus on a different topic as follows:
1ST THURSDAY OF THE MONTH: DAYHIKING
2ND THURSDAY OF THE MONTH: CAMP KITCHEN
3RD THURSDAY OF THE MONTH: BACKPACKING
- Sleeping Systems
- Sleeping Pads
- Sleeping Bags
4TH THURSDAY OF THE MONTH: MAP & COMPASS BASICS
- Maps & Scales
- Contour Lines
- Color & Terrain Indicators
- Map Legend
- Anotomy of a Compass
- Types of Compasses
- Setting Declination
- Maps w/ Compasses
- Orienting the Map
- From Map to Field
- From Field to Map
- Following a Bearing
5TH THURSDAY OF THE MONTH (IF APPLICABLE): DAYHIKING