Backcountry 101: Map & Compass - Feb19
NAVIGATE YOUR WAY ON YOUR NEXT HIKING TRIP!
Join our camping specialists from 5:30pm-6:30pm for a FREE one-hour clinic designed to introduce you to topographical maps, compasses and their use in backcountry navigation.
By the end of this session, participants will be familiar with topographical maps, the features that distinguish them from other types of maps and the reasons they are ideal for backcountry navigation, including:
- The following concepts/symbols on a topographic map:contour lines, basic colour/terrain indicators, scale, declination, projection, latitude/ longitude grid, and UTM grid;
- The features basic to all compasses, as well as additional features that may be desired in a compass intended for backcountry navigation;
- Interpreting real-life terrain features from a topo map;
- Setting declination on a compass and its importance;
- Shooting a bearing from terrain;
- Setting a bearing from a topo map;
- Following a bearing;
- Straight line navigation vs. hand railing vs. aiming off
- Familiarization with other navigation resources available at MEC, as well as any additional navigation programming offered.
We will provide all the materials you need for this clinic. Come with your questions and a sense of adventure!
Please meet in the camping department in the south end of our store.
Please contact our Outreach Coordinator, Caitlin Brown at email@example.com or call the store at (250)386.2667
**Please note: Clinics are non-refundable and non-transferable.