BACKCOUNTRY 101 - INTRO TO DIGITAL NAVIGATION
Ready for the backcountry?
Now you can be!!!
Our free Backcountry 101 series explores special skills or topics that help you enjoy the great outdoors to the fullest extent possible. Join one of our experienced staff members as they discuss gear, technique and more on select Monday evenings.
In Backcountry 101 - Introduction to Digital Navigation, we present members with the basics of GPS units and their use in backcountry navigation. If you would like to learn more about GPS units and how to use them on your next adventure, this is the clinic for you!
By the end of the session, participants will:
- Understand how the Global Positioning System functions.
- Understand features and functions common to all GPS standalone devices.
- Learn how to apply these features and functions in a wilderness navigation context.
- Distinguish the features offered for mobile devices (i.e., smartphones) from those offered by outdoor-specific units.
- Be familiar with the range of GPS devices available, their various additional features and the possible application of those features to specific activities.
- Be familiar with proper GPS care.
- Be familiar with other navigation resources available at MEC, as well as any additional navigation programming offered.
Register now to reserve your place in attendance!
Street parking is available in the Downtown Biz district. Spend $10 or more in store after your clinic, and you will receive an hours' worth of reimbursed parking in the parkade on Ellice & Smith.
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call the store 204-943-4202 or email Winston, our Outreach & Learning Coordinator directly: Winston.To@mec.ca.