Bike Maintenance 201 - MEGA CLINIC
Wrench with one of our pros!
This 4 hour clinic will have you comfortable tinkering around on your two wheeled transportation after just 1 afternoon! We've combined our 3 favourite clinics to create an engaging afternoon where attendees can learn everything they need to know to confidently work on their bikes.
Bike Maintenance 201 is designed for the more advanced cyclist who wants to learn how to work on their own bike. Bike Maintenance 101 is a suggested prerequisite to this intermediate clinic.
The 201 clinics are hands-on clinics led by one of our trained mechanics, giving you a small class size to really get involved and learn a new skill.
You may bring your own bike to work on if you prefer. Please wear clothes that can get dirty as this is a hands-on class.
We will cover:
◾Know how to change the cable and housing for rim brakes
◾Be able to adjust the position of their rim brakes
◾Be able to change the pads on rim brakes (both calliper and cantilever)
◾Know when the bike needs to be taken to the MEC Bike Shop for service
◾Understand the difference between brake types
◾Know how to clean their disc brakes
This course does not adjust disk brakes.
Drivetrain Adjustment and Care
- Maintenance of components in the bicycle drivetrain.
- Troubleshooting malfunctioning drivetrains.
- Selection and installation of components
- Chain sizing and install (hands on practice).
- Cassette choice and install (hands on practice).
- Derailleur capacity (selection only, please see separate classes for install).
- Choosing the right derailleur.
- Adjustment of height above chain rings and rotational alignment.
- Derailleur hanger alignment and adjustment.
- Setting the limit screws.
- Adjustment of indexing.
Please note: this clinic takes place at the Downtown MEC - 12328 102 Ave