Intro to Marine Navigation 101
Join us for a 1.5 hour lecture with an MEC staff expert!
This engaging course will look at navigation specific to a marine environment. You will gain skills and know-how applicable to SUPping, canoeing, kayaking and other types of ocean travel as well!
Course topics include:
- Choosing the right chart for your trip
- How to read a Marine Chart
- How to use a compass on the ocean
- Navigation by observation
- Understanding tides and currents (How these factors affect trip-planning)
- Short trip-planning exercise
- GPS and marine navigation
- Opportunity for Q&A with a staff expert, who is familiar with our local waters!
This lecture is an awesome introduction for novice paddlers who are interested in planning their own short-term adventures in sheltered waters. Although we will discuss GPS options and equipment, this will not be the focus of the talk.
This clinic is FREE for MEC members and happens on a bi-weekly basis, alternating with our Intro to Ocean Kayaking course. Please see events.mec.ca for alternative dates and don't forget to register in advance!
Recommended video to watch before clinic can be found at:
Sea Kayak Videos: Navigation by John Down and produced by John Dawson: https://youtu.be/0Kv-ckC5U4s
Sea Kayaking Safety Guide - Transports Canada: www.tc.gc.ca/publications/en/tp14726/pdf/hr/tp14726e.pdf
If you have any questions, please contact Shannon Penway at Shannon.Penway@mec.ca or call the store at 604-990-4417